Pages

Saturday, April 9, 2011

TRULY BROKEN

Greetings in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ.

Give Your Broken Spirit

Psalm 31



"The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit; a broken and contrite heart, O God, you will not despise."
(PSALM 51:17)


Living with depression can be a rollercoaster ride, one you're not sure is nearly over or is just about to go round again. One thing that has been helpful to many people is the blessing of music. Part of the mystery of the early years of my battle with depression was that music, an integral part of my life since I was 11, no longer seemed to be a friend. Unlike my biblical namesake, I was not able to make music that would quiet my spirit or make me well again the way David did for King Saul
(1 Samuel 16:16).

But in time it was the music and lyrics that point to Jesus, sung over and over or finally played on my guitar, which began to soothe my anxious heart. God desires brokenness from us; without it we become self-reliant or even worse, complacent.

The broken and contrite heart - the heart clinging desperately to Jesus - will find its rest in Him. Like David, we may "sing of the Lord's strength in the morning," remembering that the Lord is our "refuge in times of trouble"
(Psalm 59:16).


IRONICALLY, IT IS OFTEN ONCE WE ACKNOWLEDGE THAT WE ARE TRULY BROKEN THAT GOD BEGINS HIS WORK OF RESTORATION. 

No comments:

Post a Comment